Ok, so first off, I apologize for the terrible photo. It’s late, and the lighting is really bad, and my flash is acting funny–but I SO wanted to share this with you, because it’s easy and yummy! I did not plan on turning this into a freezer meal. It just happened! I made Turkey Fajita Salad for dinner last night and my recipe made twice as much as my family would eat for dinner, so I froze the rest tonight. Wa la! That’s how the best kinds of freezer meals are made! (No planning, no extra cooking time, just having an entire extra meal worth of food to freeze!). Why did I choose turkey for fajita salad? It’s not a typical meat used in fajitas, I know. It’s just that turkey cutlets are an inexpensive cut of meat, and I like variety in our week (beef, chicken, pork, seafood, sometimes turkey). That’s why. You can use any type of meat that you choose (beef, chicken, turkey, deer, elk, ostrich–whatever you want!). Ok, now for my awesome recipe!
- 4 lbs turkey cutlets, cut into strips
- 2 limes, juiced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TB chili powder
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 TB honey
- 4 TB butter or ghee
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (wear gloves!)
- Option 1:
- Combine the turkey, lime juice, garlic cloves, chili powder, cumin and honey in a bowl and let marinate for about 30 min.
- Saute the onions and peppers in the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the meat mixture to the pan and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the meat is done.
- Let the mixture cool down and divide into 2 bpa free plastic bags.
- Label & freeze!
- To serve: thaw, re-heat in a baking dish in the oven or in a pan on the stove.
- Option 2:
- Combine everything in a bpa-free plastic bag raw.
- Label & freeze.
- To serve: thaw completely, cook in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, or until the meat is done.
Ingredients for serving:
- Lettuce for fajita salad (for the grain-free, Paleo, or GAPS people!)
- Tortillas for fajitas (for the not-so-grain free people!)
- Sour cream