I am not a big alcohol drinker. I can count the number of times in my life that I’ve ever had alcohol. I don’t like it much. I like really good quality red wine (the expensive stuff!), and Sangrias, and that’s pretty much it. Sangrias are nice because they’re so fruity and sweet, you hardly notice that you’re drinking any alcohol.
I purchased all of these ingredients (besides the honey, because we buy wholesale from a local apiary) from Trader Joes. I like Trader Joes, because I think they make it easy to buy and cook real food. There’s a lot of not-so-real-food there, too (avoid the candy, box mixes, desserts, cans of soup, etc.), but if you’re careful, you can find the good stuff. For this particular recipe, my shopping list for Trader Joes looked like this:
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 bag frozen mixed berries
- 1 bottle sparkling mineral water
I know that this is really a summer recipe. I think you can forgive me, though, because I never heard of Sangrias until 2 months ago. Besides, you were looking for a nice, fruity red drink for Valentine’s Day, right?
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 1/2 of an orange, peeled and de-seeded
- 1/2 of a lemon, peeled and de-seeded
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 2 TB to 1/4 cup honey, to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine of your choice
- 1 glass of ice
- Combine everything in a blender.
- Serve in wine glasses with lemon or orange slices as a garnish.
This recipe was shared at Make Your Own Monday