The reason for this post: I don’t want to look like this.
I am going to be really real in this post. Beware!
I shared here how I had lost a bunch of weight on GAPS. I also got a flatter, but not totally flat belly (a little pooch just never went away, but I could still wear jeans with no muffin top).
I’m going to talk numbers here. Don’t hate me for my numbers. Keep in mind that I am 5’2″.
Before I started GAPS, I was 142 lbs and a size 10 or 12.
I lost it and went down to 104, and size 2, 1 or 0.
For a little while, as my body was detoxing (I could tell I was fighting off some major internal yeast and I didn’t feel great), I went down to 98 lbs. I took lots of probiotics and ate probiotic foods and felt a lot stronger and went back up to 104 and stayed there, for a long time. I feel like 104 is a good weight for me, mainly because of the shape I was at.
Fast forward. The last 3 months, my weight has gone up. Today it is 114!!! What in the world is happening? I wouldn’t be worried about the weight, if it weren’t for the BELLY fat. I am still in a size 2 pants (size 4 is too big, I’ve been trying them on), but they’re tight and I’ve got a MUFFIN TOP! What?! Since I know that weight gain in the mid-section is a sign of insulin resistance and can lead to all kinds of other problems (like cardiovascular disease), I am going to nip this–NOW.
But, I’m on GAPS! KIND OF….Here’s where I’ve fallen off of the GAPS wagon lately (AKA, my confession):
- I’m not taking probiotics
- I haven’t been eating sauerkraut
- I’ve only been having bone broth about once or twice per week
- I make at least one dessert per week (with honey and/or dates)
- I have tea with raw milk in it (and honey) every day, sometimes multiple times per day
- I discovered dates
- I barely ever consume homemade yogurt or kefir raw (I often cook with it & feed it raw to my kids, but I don’t eat it enough).
Now, that’s not really GAPS, is it!? I still eat GAPS foods (no grains, sugar, etc.), but I’m failing to take in the most essential GAPS foods!!Â This is my problem!!
Here is my plan, starting today:
- Start taking Biokult again
- Make a batch of sauerkraut and start eating it every day
- Make some broth tonight & drink some with every meal and throughout the day
- Stop making desserts for a while. Maybe 1 dessert per month is better than 1 per week. And pumpkin pancakes count as a dessert!
- Stop drinking tea with honey and raw milk. Maybe just herbal tea, no milk, no honey
- Stop buying dates! They’re too addictive!
- Eat the beautiful yogurt that we make! Make some kefir/fruit smoothies and drink them